Tiny Tafel Tutorial
Tiny tafels provide a compact way of describing
|| Overview | Searchable Sites | Books/Software | State/Regional | Surname/General ||
|| GEnie Refugees | Tiny Tafels | Tafel Submission | Tafel Tutor | Maps | Obituaries ||
|| Creekmore Gedcom | Query Central ||
|| Roots & Branches | Home | Guestbook ||
- In addition to your name, address, and phone number, you must include a valid email address(es) and the URL for your genealogy data online (if you have a site) in the "Communication Service" section of your Tafel. Those additional lines must be in the following format:
S INTERNET firstname.lastname@example.org
S INTERNET http://www.yourdomain.com/path_to_your_files
CompuServe members please note - you must use 'nnnn.nnnnn', not 'nnnn,nnnnn'.
- IMPORTANT!!!: If you add or delete entries to your tafel after it has been generated, be sure you adjust your 'Z' entry (number of data items) to reflect the change. Someone might download your tafel and run it through TMS, so that entry must be correct.
- If you have 9 thousand surnames, do not submit one file for all. Rather, submit one file for your father's line and one for your mother's. Or if they are all on one side of the tree, break it down into manageable branches (mine might be: Batchelors and related; Peters and related; Creekmore and related, etc.). It's not so much a space consideration, but if someone sees two surnames that they are researching in the same file they will assume they are connected in some way. So if one is in your father's line and one in mother's, and never connect until they reach you, this is not helpful to anyone searching these files.
- Filenames must use the following convention: first 3 letters of your last name plus your first and middle initials, and the file extension must be .TT (e.g., my submission would be named RYASC.TT). If you have no middle initial, substitute an underscore (_) instead. If you are submitting multiple files, add a number after the .TT, e.g., RYASC.TT1, RYASC.TT2, etc. These must be saved as plain text files.
- Send me an email as follows:
SUBJECT: Tafel submission - your_filename.TT
(NOTE - remove the "nospam+" from my email address or it won't go through)
- In the body of the email:
List up to 3 primary surnames from this file, most important surname first. This is how your entry will be listed in the Archive directory (with a link to your tafel). They should be in one line, in all caps, e.g.:
CREEKMORE BATCHELOR PETERS
Don't worry about your other surnames, they won't get lost. My site is fully searchable so visitors will still find them.
- If you are concerned about your internet privacy and prefer not to include your home address and phone number in the online version, mention that in your email as well and I'll store your personal information offsite and replace it with a special email address for visitors to request it.
- Your tafel must be submitted as a separate attachment (exception: Juno members may include them in the body of the message).
- Any questions, email me.
Most genealogy software programs will create a tiny tafel for you; but some leave much to be desired. Many don't include "interest flags" and/or don't quality check for locations, etc. However, they will at least generate the required soundex codes and produce a formatted file. All you need to do is "fine tune" it to be sure it will give others a good picture of your quest.
If you aren't familiar with tiny tafels and would like to learn more, I have included a great tutorial that should tell you all you need to know.
[ Return to Top of Page ]
[ Return to Top of Page ]
© 1997-2004 Su Ryan